This online service allows people to purchase an open burning permit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Permits are $7.00 each and $2.00 from each permit goes to the organized municipality where it was purchased.
Service Information resources templates
- Although permits can be purchased 24 hours a day, the default setting for allowable burn times is after 5:00pm and before 9:00am for unorganized towns, plantations and most towns. The exception to the default "after 5pm" restriction is when there is a steady rain or the ground is completely covered in snow. Some communities, particularly those with full time fire departments, have elected to override the allowable burn times and have authorized burning during the daytime. Please read your permit carefully and only burn during the times listed.
- Online Burn Permits are valid on Class 1 or Class 2 days. The person requesting the permit must verify the class day after 9:00AM on the day they intend to burn.
- This system is for brush piles, wood debris and agricultural burns only. Permits are only valid for 48 hours from the time they are purchased and can't be purchased in advance. For campfire permits, please contact the local fire dept. or the MFS Regional Headquarters (M - F between 8am and 4pm). Augusta 207-624-3700, Old Town 207-827-1800, Ashland 207-435-7963.
What you will need
- Burn Information including address and type of material being burned
- Printer to print your permit
- A Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit/debit card
Questions about this service? Contact the Maine Forest Service at: (800) 750-9777 or email Maine.ForestRangers@maine.gov