Welcome to the Online Renewal & Profile Update Service
This service allows you to update your Notary Public Commission information with the Secretary of State, as well as to renew your commission if you are eligible for renewal. You may update your middle name, last name, suffix, legal, physical and/or mailing addresses, contact telephone numbers, email address and any other language fluency. Please note that the notary public's name, contact telephone numbers, city or town of residence, county, and email address will be publicly available on the Notary Public search.
If renewing your Notary Public Commission, you must take an online Notary Public Examination. The examination is based on the Course of Study available on the Secretary of State's website. This course will cover the laws, rules, procedures, and ethics relevant to notarial acts. While taking the examination, if you provide an incorrect answer, you will not be able to advance to the next category of questions until a correct response has been provided. For guidance to correctly answer the question, please reference the resources mentioned above, which are all available on the Secretary of State's website.
Once you have completed the online renewal process and submitted the renewal payment, you will be required to print the application for renewal, Oath of Office form, and the notice providing important information on how to complete the renewal process. You must appear before a Dedimus Justice with your Oath of Office form to be sworn in as you did when you initially were commissioned as a Notary Public.
Once you have completed the application with the required signature(s) and have been sworn into office by a Dedimus Justice, these forms must be returned to the Secretary of State to complete the renewal process.
There is no fee to update your contact information.
The fee for renewal is $50.00
Who Can Use This Service
Any Notary Public commissioned in the State of Maine may use this service. You may update your contact information at any time.
You may renew your Commission if:
- Your Commission will expire within the next 45 days; or
- Your Commission has expired within the last 20 days (You will maintain your current month & day for your new expiration date year); or
- Your Commission has expired within the last 21 to 90 days (you will be given a new month & day for your new expiration date year)
What You Will Need
- Your Log In Information (first & last name, date of birth, and commission expiration date)
- A valid credit or debit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa) (for renewal)
- Email Address to receive confirmation and official communications from the Secretary of State on your commission.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- A printer
Questions about this Service? Contact the Bureau at: (207) 624-7752 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Required fields are indicated by an asterisk (*). Please do not provide a middle initial or middle name as part of your first name in the field below to log into the system.